Sunday, November 28, 2010

Congratulations! You passed Nurse . . .

I often used to look at the photo of Grandma, on my desk in the nurses home, for inspiration. I did work hard eventually, but not until the last 6 months. Then I pulled out all the stops; even sacrificing the odd night out, and they were odd let me tell you! A bit of a blurry haze on more than one occasion! Not so much as the lion the witch and the wardrobe, as the boyfriend, the nurse and the wardrobe . . . No time to explain here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grandma's SRN exam paper 1932


I never kept my exam paper! I was more relieved that it was all over. I never really thought that I'd passed, although the exams did go better than expected. Our Registered General Nurse results were meant to arrive by post at the Nurses Home. About 5 of the results envelopes on that day, including mine, didn't arrive. I was on an early shift that morning and had already decided that I must have failed, being as I had not received notification. 

After some consideration a few of us decided to trail up to the School of Nursing and check what the hell had happened. We ended up reading the results off a list! I'd passed, no couldn't be . . . yes there it was I had passed. A group of us grabbed our paper hats and scrunched them up and threw them into the air with sheer delight. Phone calls were made to anxiously awaiting parents and family. If we were on duty that day, we were supposed to then go on shift, in amidst all the excitement. First, we trooped to the uniform room, to get the hat we had all coveted as students, learned how to fold it and wear it with pride with the blue student sack dress, until such a time till our registration papers came through. It was such a good moment. 

Now we were accountable, qualified nursing staff - looking for work. That's another episode  .  .  .

No comments:

Post a Comment