Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spring in a Vase . . .


Its hard not to be thrilled by a bunch of spring flowers; daffodils and tulips heralding the imminent arrival of a favourite season. . . SPRING. The brave little snowdrops are virtually being ushered back into the earth, ready to swell the bulb for another year. Crocus pepper the grass; and now the verge-side and woodland daffodil heads have tipped over, ready to bloom, to delight us once more.


 That's not to say that we are clear of Winter's grip. I recall many a March when Birthday Party pictures display deep snow on the ground; but it can't be far away now. As a child I can remember being bemused by being told "when you wake up the clock will be an hour later on" What?? I couldn't get it into my head that the clocks go forward for British Summer Time and its lighter for longer in the evening. I used to hate playing out and being dragged in to the protestations of "but its still light, it can't be bed-time!" This is something I've battled on a few occasions with my own children, and now I can completely sympathise with my poor Mum at that time.

So, as we approach Spring, it may be being supremely optomistic, to say that it will make everything better, in these times of austerity and uncertainty - but as far as I'm concerned, it will sure as hell help.

No comments:

Post a Comment