Friday, October 1, 2010

Ermm excuse me Sister . . .

First ever morning on a ward; our advice was pretty much along the lines of take a pen and notebook and make sure you have some breakfast. It had also been suggested that we did a trial run of finding the ward we'd been allocated to. So, origami cap pinned to fractious hair, that was in too long to wear down yet too short to pin up properly without escapee strands; I went without breakfast, because after all that faffing around I had run out of time. I got to my ward, and sat in for handover report. Part way through I was acutely aware that all the patients' names were female, alarm bells shook me as I knew that my first ward placement was male orthopaedic and this was not ward 7 at all. I'm sat on the wrong bloody ward for my first ever day as a student nurse! This was ward 8 female orthopaedic... what the hell do I do now? As revered as the ward sister was to me, I had to embarrass myself and declare " ermmmm excuse me sister, I'm on the wrong ward, I'm terribly sorry" and fly out of the ward office to the ward opposite, where of course by then the ward report had virtually ended and I had to make apologies for my late coming. Not exactly the start I'd been planning or hoping for! "Ah here you are student nurse Butler, better late than never I suppose, which group are you? Ah yes, group 279". Dear God what else could happen on this auspicious Early shift ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment