Friday, October 1, 2010

I don't feel very well . . .

Bearing in mind that I had such a poor start on my first ever shift; you'd think that I'd make it up somehow... read on dear reader! 
By the way, I forgot to tell you about my sick phobia... yes I know, I'm embarking on my nursing career and can't stand the thought of puke... so when the gargled call for help comes behind the first set of curtains.... "nurse I'm going to be sick" I sort of guide the nearest staff nurse in . . . not a good start!  I'm then asked, once they've 'discussed' with me that I really shouldn't do that; ahem! Come and watch this, we're just taking out a vacuum drain from this knee. Ye gods! The patient is recovering from a knee replacement and the drain has done its job and needs removing. Fine, great learning opportunity but I am the tickled stomached one remember... and as the drain is squelched out under duress, I start to see green and black swirly things and clutch the curtain on one hand and grab the only thing in front of me... the sterile field of the dressing trolley, then slump to the floor in a sobbing heap. At this point, well after I'm assisted to the office and sipping water, I'd quite like to run away from ward 7 male orthopaedic, never to return. I remember the family motto K.B.O  'keep buggering on'. Apologise profusely and try again. My confidence is picked up momentarily when I am asked to help give a patient a pain killing injection post operation. I struggled with oranges so . . . oh well here we go!  All was well till I started to depress the plunger and the patient wit emerges, still under the dregs of anaesthesia " One hundred and Ei--ghty"!  muttered from under the covers . . . That good huh! "Is that the first time you've done that"? Fortunately the trained nurse observer sticks up for me/ OK lies - for which I am eternally grateful. This nursing lark might be alright round the edges after all ?

No comments:

Post a Comment