Friday, October 1, 2010

How it all began


I fell into nursing, not just sort of accidentally fell, but tripped headlong onto the ward and landed arse first...

I always saw myself as a nurse and have the photo's to prove it. I couldn't possibly be a nurse could I? Not a hope with my total tickled stomach. Me who had to be virtually carried out of Biology class, fainted doing CPR in Brownies and had to lie down on a cold kitchen tile floor after watching an operation . . . on T.V. Didn't really bode terribly well did it! So, when my 6th form tutor said I'd make a good nurse, to say I was flattered and very amused is putting it mildly. I was flattered because my maternal Grandmother had been a nurse and midwife in the 30's and 40's; and I loved hearing about her vivid recollections.

Eleanor Ashcroft
 I have been left a wonderful legacy of nursing memorabilia. Grandma kept every item of her training documents, including ward reports, pencil lecture notes and even exam papers. Plus a range of nursing journals and testimonials, job applications and uniform permits. Her midwifery bag is also one of my treasured possessions, still with most of its contents.
Before the family left, Dad gave me a photograph of me aged about 3 or 4 dressed in a nurses uniform with the most serious visage and looking concernedly at my baby sister, who laying on the sofa with thumb in, was supposedly my patient. Heaven help her, bearing in mind that the plastic tubing stethoscope was not really anywhere of diagnostic use. As he left, he said:
" here you go, see if you can make a proper go of it now... work hard and play hard"!
Eventually all the belongings I'd brought with me were unpacked and put away... and the photo of Grandma as a nurse took pride of place on the top of the bureau. She became my ultimate inspiration in later months and years. I was one of 50 group 279 students. Training had begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment