Friday, October 1, 2010

Storm

Retreating under eiderdown, taking solace from thunderous roar.
Hoping, praying 'it' won't get me and I'll be safe once more.
Daring not to peep and plugging fingers in my ears,
Dreading when the next crash comes and heightening my fears.
Accompanied now by intense glare; lighting up my room.
I start to count in elephants... until the next vile boom.

"It's only a cloud's tea-party". My parents used to say;
I'd hate to know what's going on. . . have giants come to play?
It must be quite a bad storm 'cause soon Mum's standing there.
Snuggles in right next to me, protects me in her care.
I try to seem much braver now but crashes still abound.
Mum's here now, no need to fear, I'll be safe and sound....

Years on now, I love a storm, love the anticipation
Loving the romance, sharing the moment - watch in fascination
As lightning partners thunder in some curious angry dance.
Nowadays I'd be joining them, given half a chance!
My husband wraps his arm round me and pulls me close to him.
Seems a lifetime ago, when I was small and feared life and limb;

Hiding under bedclothes, being nearly driven insane;
Listening for poor cats and dogs, stranded in the rain.
No fear grips me; in loving caress, we listen out, intrigued.
Listen for our own child's cries to comfort if were needed.
But no calls come; sleeps peacefully not clutching covers tight,
And we return to sleep and let the storm take on it's might.

No comments:

Post a Comment